Eapen

Dearest Eapen,
I was at an ulsava parambu and I could hardly hear something when your mother called to tell me that you’re 5 weeks old inside her tummy, size of an orange seed. Honestly the world did stop and my head spin for some time and I didn’t know what to respond other than “WTF”. I’m sorry, I promise to never ever be abusive in front of you, and I’ll try my best to be a good aunt (part time).

Your mother was a total disaster, our firecracker friend and you haven’t the faintest idea how many jokes we had on you when we were in college. She is an exciting, unpredictable woman, wild and hot-headed and she gave me constant panic attacks with her late night phone calls but I’m sure she’ll make a wonderful mother. I can’t wait to go around Bangalore with your 4 gorgeous aunts, diapers and baby food, eat and fart in cafés, sing loud and laugh with our photo albums. I never really liked children, they always panicked me but I’m starting to love you, my preparatory course begins today. I’ll be your official story teller. Oh boy, you’ve no idea how happy I am!

Yours ever
Aunt Devu
(with Aunt Jenu, Aunt Kundi, Aunt Kunju and Aunt Munni)