Where is Kafka?


Sometimes I imagine 
sitting under our dining table,
wanting to chop my hair off, 
days and nights oppressed, 
yet not to run the rat race. 
Partly because I was too resistant 
to be happy, 
but with the first monsoon showers, 
I almost collapsed 
inside my oversized grey T-shirt
 that began to turn white, 
infinite gaps inside mind channels,
 I sat and watched 
strange men winning Wimbledon.
 I stopped writing 
one thousand words a day, 
themes and perspectives
 slipped into a closed brown diary,
 and I always worried 
what if someone finds it 
and reads it aloud 
in the public sphere in Prague,
 right in front of 
David Cherny’s rotating Kafka,
 how miserable
 he died thinking he was worthless,
 how miserable it would be-
 to listen to voices
 that came beneath my dining table. 
I talk to a shy Kafka,
every day,
 under our dining table, 
today he shaved my head.